Thursday, July 24, 2008

HAZE (2005)

Director: Shinya Tsukamoto

Synopsis: A man awakens in a cramped concrete tunnel, barely able to move, with a bad wound to his abdomen and no memory of who or where he is. Most of this 45 minute film is him working his way through the tunnel, around various painful obstacles, trying to find a way out and remember what is going on.

My take: Tsukamoto does it again! While this hard-to-find film (I finally discovered it streaming online) may seem similar in plot to some other films, no one can do this stuff like Tsukamoto. This has to be one of the most unsettling things I’ve seen in a long time, mainly due to the claustrophobic way Tsukamoto shot it. You can barely see anything, making it hard to figure out what is happening at times, but this is the point, it makes the main character’s ordeal all the more terrifying. The lack of visibility enhances the jarring use of sound. The whole way through I was worrying about the ending, that things would not get wrapped up in a satisfactory way. Unfortunately, this turned out to be the case, very little is explained by the ending and I was kind of angry about this. But, after a day or two to reflect, maybe it wasn’t as ambiguous as I first thought. However, the fact that I’m still thinking about this pleasantly uncomfortable film days later is a plus in my book.

3 out of 4 Zombie Faces

No comments: