Wednesday, July 16, 2008

MASTERS OF HORROR: CHOCOLATE (2005)

Director: Mick Garris

Synopsis: A recently divorced and lonely food researcher starts having strange hallucinations where he is sensing things through the body of a beautiful female artist/murderer. As these visions get worse, he goes on an obsessive quest to find out who this woman is.

My take: This episode has taken a lot of criticism for not really being horror – I thought it was. Randomly losing your own vision, hearing, etc. and experiencing these senses through someone else’s body would be pretty damn terrifying if you ask me. When you mix in the element of murder and the mystery of trying to locate the woman, you end up with what I felt was a thrilling episode. Maybe it was slow at first, maybe there wasn’t a whole lot of blood and gore, but it was a solid story, and it was well acted by Elliot from E.T., all grown up now. My only complaints were an unnecesary shower masturbation scene, and the abrupt ending, but I can’t really think of a better way to wrap it up.

Body Count: 2

2 out of 4 Zombie Faces

No comments: